Winter Activities in Wintergreen and Charlottesville, Virginia
Winter is here, but you certainly don’t have to equate the seasonal chill with being housebound. Nelson County and the surrounding areas provide a number of cold-weather activities to keep you occupied and give you a fun, frigid adrenaline rush. Now, most of these options are right down the road from Afton Mountain B&B at Wintergreen Resort, so you won’t have to travel very far to find the ice and snow. Your other options are only a quick drive away in Charlottesville, VA, so grab a calendar, and start planning your getaway:
- Ice Skating: Whether you’re a beginner who can barely stand without holding onto the rail or an experienced skater with skills that rival an ice hockey champion, you’ll find yourself enjoying our local skating rinks: Shamokin Ice Rink at Wintergreen or Main Street Arena in Charlottesville
- Skiing: Slip on your skis, grab your poles, take a lift to the top of Wintergreen, then soar your way down the slopes. Unsure about your skiing abilities? Check out one of Wintergreen’s instructional classes and brush up on your skills.
- Snowboarding: Beginners, pros, and snowboarders of all levels in between are welcome to the hit the slopes and carve the snow. As with skiing, Wintergreen also offers classes for those who wish to learn a bit more about snowboarding.
- Snow Tubing: Maybe you’d prefer being off your feet as you race down the mountainside, and if that’s the case, snow tubing will be perfect for you. Wintergreen just so happens to boast Virginia’s largest tubing park, a merry monstrosity known as The Plunge. Take The Plunge, and slide your way down at speeds up to 30 mph.
- Spa Services: Okay, so this technically isn’t a cold-weather activity, but it’s definitely the perfect way to recover after a day of frigid frolicking amidst the snow and ice. Relax with a body wrap, a facial, or a massage at the Spa at Wintergreen. Unwind with body exfoliation, a deep relief warming wrap, or an aromatherapy massage.
- Local Libations: Nothing warms you from the inside out quite like a glass of wine, a growler of beer, or a bottle of hard cider. After your outdoor recreation and your spa wind-down, warm up and relax with a beverage from one of our local wineries, breweries, or cideries.
We look forward to your winter arrival!