Our Top 10 Summer Activities in and Around Afton, VA
What are your summer plans for 2016? Many people head to their annual beach or amusement park, but why not switch up your vacation theme this year and head to the beautiful mountains of Virginia? Center your summer vacation around a stay at Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast, and you’ll be right in the midst of opportunities for swimming, hiking, kayaking, wine tasting, music festivals, orchards, and more. Check out the following list of our Top Ten Summer Activities for 2016:
Hike Crabtree Falls: Not only do you get to enjoy a moderate, beautiful hiking trail, but your hike will be accompanied by the highest cascading waterfalls east of the Mississippi.
- Treat yourself to homemade ice cream at Critzer Family Farm: Fresh, cold, and made with real fruit, this ice cream is the perfect refreshment on a hot summer day.
- Nelson County Farmers Market: You’ll find fresh produce, baked goods, arts and crafts and more at the Nelson County Farmers Market, held every Saturday through October.
- Fourth of July Jubilee at Wintergreen Resort (July 2-4, 2016): This patriotic celebration will include a movie night, games, chairlift rides, a block party, and a beautiful display of fireworks.
- James River Reeling and Rafting: Only 45 minutes away from Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast, this Scottsville company offers canoeing, kayaking, tubing, and rafting for adventurers of all levels.
- Hill Top Berry Farm & Winery Blackberry Harvest and Music Festival (August 6, 2016): Celebrate this local winery’s true-to-the-fruit, other-than-grape wines and traditional honeyed meads, plus live music and blackberry picking.
- Attend a polo match at King Family Vineyards: Sip some Virginia wine while you relax and enjoy a polo match on a summer afternoon at King Family Vineyards.
- Annual Virginia Craft Brewers Festival at Devils Backbone Brewing Company (August 20, 2016): As Virginia.org says, “This festival is one of the premier craft beer events in Virginia.” Don’t miss this huge celebration of this popular and tasty Virginia industry!
- LOCKN’ Festival (August 25 – 28, 2016): This huge music festivals is back for its fourth year and promises “a blend of world-class music, local vendors, and community engagement.”
- Sherando Lake: Sherando Lake is a beautiful recreation area a little over half an hour away from us. Enjoy swimming, fishing, kayaking, hiking, and more at this popular location that some call the “jewel of the Blue Ridge Mountains.”
Ready for your summer getaway? We can’t wait to see you here at Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast!