Here Comes the Heritage Harvest Festival at Monticello
"The greatest service which can be rendered any country is to add a useful plant to its culture.” –Thomas Jefferson
Fall will be here before you know it, and one local way we enjoy celebrating the upcoming season is with Monticello’s annual Heritage Harvest Festival. Now in its ninth year, the 2015 festival will take place on September 12 and promises to be a wonderful day full of activities on the picturesque grounds of Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello:
- Pre-Festival Events: Begining on September 11, 2015, pre-festival events will include all-day workshops, book signings, and Opening Night with the Fabulous Beekman Boys. (If you’re unfamiliar with the Beekman Boys, then you’re in for a treat with these farmers and reality show participants.)]
- Premium Workshops: These workshops explore a variety of topics like “Cyder: Monticello’s Table Drink,” “Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms,” and “Harvest Mixology: Using Alcohol as a Complement to Your Garden.” Speakers and instructors include master gardeners, farmers, authors, viticulturists, and other experts of the craft, so you will most certainly enjoy some quality education.
- Tasting Tent: Who doesn’t leave free samples? Sink your teeth into some of the hundreds of varieties of heirloom tomatoes along with samples of peppers and melons.
- Live plant and book sales: The Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants will be presenting book signings throughout the day, as well as the opportunity to own purchase a plant that reflects the horticultural aspirations of Jefferson himself.
- Old Timey Seed Swap: “Meet legendary and everyday seed savers at our annual Old Timey Seed Swap.” This seed swap promises to be relaxed, informal, and great for beginners, so if you have seeds leftover from your gardens, bring them along and exchange them amidst other like-minded individuals. (This event will be hosted by Roger Winn, a certified organic gardener.)
We look forward to seeing you for your festival getaway! Click here to reserve your room at Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast.