Celebrate National Photo Month with Afton Mountain B&B
Whether you’re an expert photographer who makes a living with your professional imaging product, or you casually snap iPhone photos for your Instagram profile, you can celebrate National Photo Month. The entire month of May is dedicated to the art of photography, and you can explore your craft right here in and around Afton, Virginia. Check out these eight different photo locales that will fill your camera with breathtaking images of Virginia’s expansive beauty:
1. University of Virginia: From UVA’s gardens to their architecture, this historic campus offers a variety of photo ops that will allow you to capture to beauty of Thomas Jefferson’s 19th century university.
2. Swannanoa Palace: This historic setting looks like a scene right from the movies, so you won’t want to miss making it the subject of your camerawork.
3. Crabtree Falls: There’s a reason waterfalls are such a popular subject in photography. They’re beautiful to observe, soothing to hear, and enjoyable to follow during a hike.
4. Monticello: Thomas Jefferson’s architecture stands today as a portrait of the past and the inspiration for many photographers. Pay a visit and immerse yourself in these beautifully historic grounds.
5. Afton Mountain Vineyards: With a theme of “grapes don’t grow in ugly places,” you know that these vineyards will offer a picturesque setting for you and your camera.
6. The Frontier Culture Museum: This outdoor museum provides a unique subject for your photography, presenting replicas of African, European, and American homes from the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries.
7. Rebel’s Run: What makes for a better photo opportunity that horses? (Plus this trail ride ends at Afton Mountain Vineyard, so you can snap some wine-themed shots there as well!)
8. Skyline Drive: With its gently winding roads and its striking overlooks, this scenic drive is the epitome of photogenicity.
Happy National Photo Month!