B & B Summer Fun: 7 Laid Back Summer Activities
Afton, VA might be a small town but the area is huge with all kinds of activities for you to do this summer. When you stay at Afton Mountain B & B, we’ll have many recommendations for you.
Here are 7 of our favorites. We think they will quickly become your favorites, too!
1. Remember “Good night, John Boy.” Well, you simply can’t come to Nelson County without visiting the Walton Mountain Museum. Located in Schuyler, you can see a short video narrated by Earl Hamner, who wrote “The Homecoming.” The story was the foundation for The Waltons TV series. You’ll see the home of the characters in the show, and get a sense of what it was like to live during the Depression area. Plus, who doesn’t want to see John-Boy’s room?
2. Nelson 151. For wine lovers, craft beer lovers, and cider enthusiasts, make plans to enjoy this scenic route. You’ve got 5 wineries, 3 breweries, and 1 cidery to choose from. The wineries include: Afton Mountain Vineyards, Cardinal Point Winery & Vineyard, Hilltop Berry Farm & Winery, and Veritas Vineyard & Winery.
Breweries include: blue Mountain Brewery, Devils Backbone Brewing Company and Wild Wolf Brewing. Company. And then there’s the award-winning Bold Rock Hard Cidery. Take a day and enjoy!
3. Monticello. If you’re visiting central Virginia, Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello is a must –see. From the house itself, the gardens, to the plantation, you’ll marvel at Jefferson’s inventiveness, as well as life during that time.
4. Ash-Lawn Highland. Visit the official residence of our fifth president, James Monroe. A tireless public figure, Monroe successfully negotiated the Louisiana Purchase, the Missouri Compromise, and of course, the Monroe Doctrine. You’ll enjoy a tour lasting about 40 minutes. Expect to spend at least two hours touring the house, exploring outbuildings and enjoying the gardens and grounds.
5. Rockfish Gap Country Store. “It’s like going back in time,” one reviewer wrote, and you’ll agree. From candies, pottery, to furniture, this store will take you several hours to explore. You’ll love every minute of it!
6. Humpback Mountain. Want to see for yourself some breathtaking views of the Blue Ridge Mountains? Or maybe watch the sunrise? Hike Humpback Mountain. It’s a fairly straightforward trail that takes about 30 minutes to climb. However, as you would expect, the climb is straight up. Well worth it. The view is spectacular!
7. King’s Gourmet Popcorn. A tasty popcorn snack, this food truck has a wide offering of popcorn flavors. From the traditional kettle corn and caramel kettle corn to Pina Colada, Cookies and Cream, Texas BBQ, Cajun White Cheddar to pork rinds. King’s also serves Nathan’s Famous Beef Hot Dogs.
Of course, this is only a small taste of what the area has to offer. Check with us for the latest events, festivities, and great places to eat! To book your stay with us, click here.