5 Things to Do on a Hot Day in Afton, Virginia
It’s not even summer yet, and we’ve already hit 80 degrees here in Afton, Virginia. That means that everyone is beginning to look for activities that will keep them cool and offer a bit of fun at the same time. Other than unwinding in a room at Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast, we have a number of possibilities to enjoy as the weather continues to heat up:
- Ice cream: We all scream for ice cream, right? We’re surrounded by ice cream treats that will cool you off and satisfy your taste buds. Enjoy strawberry or peach soft serve made from fresh seasonal fruit at Critzer Family Farm or Chiles Peach Orchard. Indulge in hand-dipped Hershey’s ice cream and milkshakes at Chirios in Nellysford or regular soft-serve at Waynesboro’s Tastee Freez, or treat yourself to old-fashioned continuous freeze ice cream from Klines Dairy Bar in Waynesboro.
- Reading on our B&B porch: Whether you’re enjoying a hardback book from a rocking chair on our lower porch, or you’re scrolling through a story on your Kindle from the quiet porch at the back of the house, our decks offer a cool shelter from the heat.
- Beer tasting: There’s nothing that quenches thirst like a cold one on a hot day. We are huge fans of the nearby breweries, which will slate your thirst with award-winning ales and lagers. Whether you’re sipping a flight or draining a full glass, you’ll stay cool with these hoppy refreshments.
- Spa treatments: Pamper yourself with a body wrap, massage, skin care treatment and more at the Spa at Wintergreen. However, if you’d rather not leave Afton Mountain but you’re still craving a massage, then we can schedule an in-room one for you right here on the premises. (You may want to give us a call before you make your reservation to be sure that our local massage therapist is available. She is also certified for pre-natal massages, so it’s a great gift for expecting moms!)
- Swimming: It’s the classic hot-weather activity! We offer a 40-foot pool to our B&B guests, complete with lounge chairs for those who want to soak up some Vitamin D and patio tables with umbrellas for some shaded comfort.
We look forward to seeing you soon!