5 Offbeat Holidays to Celebrate at Afton Mountain
Most everyone associates March with St. Patrick’s Day, but that’s not the only holiday to celebrate this month. We’ve got holidays for math and pie, proposals, pecans, the earth, and even a celebration of “no selfies.” If you’re ready to enjoy one of these offbeat holidays (inspired by this post), then Afton Mountain B&B is ready to host:
1. March 14: National Pi Day. March 14 is National Pi Day because it’s 3/14. (Get it? Pi? 3.14?) And because “pi” sounds like “pie,” many people use this holiday to indulge in a crusted dessert or two. Enjoy an apple pie from Rockfish Baking Company, one of Claudia Gibson Catering’s pies at the Rockfish Valley Community Center, or a slice of pecan pie from The Hungry Fox’s selection at Basic Necessities. Perfectly fulfilling for both your sweet tooth and for National Pi Day!
2. March 16: No Selfies Day. If you’re one of those people who cringes every time you see another series of selfies on Facebook, then this day is for you. Come to Afton Mountain (and maybe drag the selfie-taking culprit along with you), and take photos of the beautiful Virginia scenery instead.
3. March 20: Proposal Day. B&Bs are the catalysts of romance, so there’s no question that an inn makes a wonderful place for you to pop (or answer) the question! Book your room now, and shine up that engagement ring.
4. March 25: Pecan Day. Did you know that George Washington planted pecans given to him by Thomas Jefferson? And did you know that Thomas Jefferson lived nearby at Monticello? Take a handful of pecans on a tour of historic Monticello in celebration of Pecan Day.
5. March 29: Earth Hour. Earth Hour is an international movement to switch off all non-essential lights for an hour (usually starting around 8:30 or 9 in the morning). Celebrate further by getting outdoors for a local hike like Crabtree Falls or Humpback Rocks.
Ready for your offbeat vacation at Afton Mountain B&B? Click here to check availability.